POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : UVMapper help/tips : Re: UVMapper help/tips Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UVMapper help/tips
From: Jim Charter
Date: 7 Aug 2004 18:40:56
Message: <41155a78$1@news.povray.org>
Michael Raiford wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I don't know if the advanced-users group is appropriate or if I should
> post this to general, but since the people here probably deal with
> meshes more frequently than most...

There is also povray.tools.general

> I'm using UVMapper to do the texture maps on my skull object, but it
> seems very limited to me (This is UVMapper classic) I would like the
> texture map on the skull object not show up as being so spherical, When
> I was doing a normal map it became obvious that the mapping was wrong.
>
> Any hints ot tips? Or am I just missing the boat on creating UV Maps in
> the first place?
>
> A few specifics:
>
> I modeled the object in Wings3D, exported it to .obj format, brought it
> into UVMapper, and created a map for it, Using spherical for the skull
> itself, cylindrical with an offset for the horns, which did what I wanted.

I have found it to be something of an art, and sometimes I just loose.
I you find the universal solution, try and remember us kindly.

Like you I assume, I break up the model by applying textures before
export.  This is where you try and guess the best projection angles you
will use while at the same time hiding the seams. Then I select by
material in UV'r and map different areas separately using the most
advantageous projection. But I often break up the model quite
extensively.  Depends what you are trying to do with the texture.

Also I find it is difficult to avoid having to manually "unwrap" the
vertices in places to reduce artifacting.

I have also had some success with the "Boxed" map (sometimes unchecking
"split front/back"), especially as a relatively fast solution to apply
noise type textures.  It is much better at maintaining the scale.

(Pretty good using cylindrical w offset for the horns btw.  Hadn't tried
that one yet.)