POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface question : Re: Isosurface question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface question
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 23 Jul 2004 12:17:05
Message: <41013a01$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/message/%3CXns93AC374E6D9E5torolavkhotmailcom%40204.213.191.226%3E/#%3CXns93AC374E6D9E5torolavkhotmailcom%40204.213.191.226%3E

> Aahhh... use an *array* of functions... I wasn't sure if you could
> actually do that... yes, that saves writing an include file and reading
> it back... great!

Yes that's one possible solution. But you can also make a
recursive macro that assembles the function directly without
using an include file. (Like the ones in my NURBS code.)

I guess that functions built the latter way will be faster,
because calling other functions within a function takes time.

>>> Thanks for that!
>>

>> Just glad to help.
>

> Maybe you should do it for a living. ;-)

Hehe - I have been working as a math and electronics teacher
for the last half year. Now I'm looking for a new job.

> Out of interest... is there a document anywhere that explains the messy
> details of how POV-Ray's isosurface drawing system actually works?
> (Other than the source code of course. :-P)

Christoph Hormann has written a little about this:

http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/fast_iso/patch.html

On that page you'll also find a link to a news posting where
Ryoichi Suzuki gives a brief explanation of the algorithm he
used.

Apart from this I haven't seen anything.
- But reading a little about numerical analysis won't hurt :)
(Especially about root finding methods.)

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.net