POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface question : Re: Isosurface question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface question
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Date: 22 Jul 2004 16:02:58
Message: <41001d72$1@news.povray.org>
>> Aaaahhhh.... I seeeee..... If a pass a variable into a second
>> function, POV-Ray calculates the value to pass ONCE, and then passes
>> it, and it can then be used multiple times within the second
>> function... excellent!
>

> Yes, you've got it.
>
> =)

I tried it today in my lunch break. It *seems* to go very very much
faster this way - this WITH a higher max_gradient...

(I also figured out how to use the select() function to terminate the
iteration sequence as soon as possible. It actually make the render many
times SLOWER - until I changed it to return a positive number rather
than 0 when it "bails out". Then it was lots faster!)

>> The *real* function I want to render is recursive... POV-Ray reports
>> 412K tokens. (!!) If I can figure out how to do it this way, it will
>> hopefully parse raster and render lots faster too... (Will probably
>> have to use the file-I/O directives to write an SDL file, then
>> #include it back in.)
>

> I guess that you are working on your fractal functions.

Yup.

> If you
> don't want to generate these functions recursively, then you
> might find this post (and thread) interesting:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6nthl

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/message/%3CXns93AC374E6D9E5torolavkhotmailcom%40204.213.191.226%3E/#%3CXns93AC374E6D9E5torolavkhotmailcom%40204.213.191.226%3E

Aahhh... use an *array* of functions... I wasn't sure if you could
actually do that... yes, that saves writing an include file and reading
it back... great!

>> Thanks for that!
>
> Just glad to help.

Maybe you should do it for a living. ;-)

Out of interest... is there a document anywhere that explains the messy
details of how POV-Ray's isosurface drawing system actually works?
(Other than the source code of course. :-P)

Thanks.
Andrew @ home.