POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Tracking animation 'state' : Re: Tracking animation 'state' Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tracking animation 'state'
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Date: 13 Jun 2004 08:38:00
Message: <40cc4aa8$1@news.povray.org>
> That's the hit.  Thank.  I remember when I first started playing with povray
> (a whopping 3 weeks ago or so) I skimmed over that part thinking 'I'll look
> into that later.'
>
> Didn't make the connection in relation to this problem.

Fair enough.

But yeah, this is (one of) the reasons those commands are even there. ;-)

(That and making scenes that write scenes - and other weird stuff.)

> One thing though - it occurred to me this would make the value of the
> 'stretch' dependant on the number of frames being rendered in a set - true?

Ah, yes... do you have to be a bit careful here.

I've done physical simulations with POV-Ray in the past. Generally I get
these to work off the current frame number rather than the clock. I then
hard-code the number of frames per second the animation should be played
at, and work it out from there.

Of course, there's nothing to say *you* have to do it that way. ;-)

You may want to glance over the section on animation variables - clock,
clock_delta, frame_number, etc. All good to know about so you can decide
what suits what you're trying to do.

> Also, I'd be glad to post the code if anyone is interested.  Is there a
> particular newsgroup specific to code postings of this nature?

This group and povray.animations for general chat about *how* to code it.

povray.text.scene-files and povray.binaries.scene-files for large slabs
of code. (See the News server FAQ for the difference between them.)

Anyway, have fun!
Andrew @ home.