POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : triangle with smooth trasparency : Re: triangle with smooth trasparency Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: triangle with smooth trasparency
From: Hughes, B
Date: 7 Jun 2004 21:45:58
Message: <40c51a56$1@news.povray.org>
"Gianluca Massaccesi" <gia### [at] tinit> wrote in message
> Here below there is a sample. It model a square subdivided in 8 triangles.
> By assigning a texture in each vertex the trasparency should be smooth. On
> the contrary you can see that each trangle has its own value, there is
> discontinuity between triangles.
>
> Could you tell me why? In my opinion it is due to the very little
dimension
> of the triangles. Could it be correct as I cannot increase the dimension
of
> triangles?

I must agree, seems to be the small size making it impossible for the smooth
transition of transparency. Something I wouldn't have known, having not
dealt much with meshes. However, it has become somewhat common knowledge
that POV-Ray objects have limitations at such small units of dimension.

In this instance, it would appear that applied pigments and transparency
(possibly normals too) break down when the triangle side lengths go below
about 0.005. I'm not really sure of that nor to what size degenerate
triangles are reported in the warning messages. Scaling the mesh upward, as
a whole, doesn't help-- that I can find anyway. Again, triangle meshes are
not something I know about specifically, just thinking you might be awaiting
some kind of answer sooner rather than later.

So... you could increase the vector numbers together proportionally and
consider your scene scale to be different.

P.S.

Your transmit values, being larger than 1, are not typical, in the natural
sense, and will artificially brighten the background.

Bob H.