POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Memory access limits : Re: Memory access limits Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory access limits
From: David Wallace
Date: 12 May 2004 03:03:58
Message: <40a1cc5e@news.povray.org>
I have since discovered that one of my objects had a large number of light
sources on lampposts.  Most of the memory consumption was in the light
vistas even though they were spotlights.  Since each lamp had 4 light
sources, I was able to use area_light spotlights to cut this figure by 75%.

That gave me the memory room for the bitmap, but the render still stuffs up
on the radiosity.  It will render (in about 36 hours) without radiosity on
my current machine.

Speaking of radiosity, the default finishes for objects are diffuse 0.65,
ambient 0.1 or 0.0.  Is there any way to alter the default finish?
Ambient_light in global_settings is inappropriate as I want a good sky for
radiosity purposes.

Any ideas?
--
David Wallace