POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Memory access limits : Memory access limits Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Memory access limits
From: David Wallace
Date: 5 May 2004 19:39:52
Message: <40997b48$1@news.povray.org>
How much memory (virtual or ortherwise) can POV-Ray consume before it fails?
I have a very involved scene (radiosity, 22.9 MB in parametric meshes, major
water effects requiring max_trace 11).  I am getting a "failed to allocate
display bitmap" error which aborts the render.

I am running an Athlon XP 2000, 1 GB PC3200, Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

This scene has stuffed every computer I've thrown at it since October 2001,
when I first designed it for the IRTC.  It's first victim was a Duron 800
with 256 MB under Windows 98SE and I bought another 256 MB stick just for
this application at the time and still nothing.

What is going on behind the scenes that is preventing this scene from
working?
--
David Wallace
TenArbor Consulting