POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 4D geometry : Re: 4D geometry Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4D geometry
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 3 May 2004 12:10:36
Message: <40966F3F.1090100@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
>> I always prefered perspective projection.
>
> Yeah, I know what you mean... Only trouble is working out which effects
> are due to the 4D->3D perspective, and which ones are the 3D->2D
> perspective! ;-)

I never had problems with that, but the red/green glasses might have
helped a lot on that one. The problems I had were with too many lines
when having many 4D objects in the same "scene". I'm talking about 4D
tetris here.

>> 1. Do a wireframe model using spheres and cylinders -- or one large
>>    spheresweep (after all the graph of the hypercube does have a Eulerian
>>    cycle). Vertcies and edges will be clearly visible, faces and
>> hyperfaces
>>    sort of.
>
> I was planning to do this too. But working out where the hell the edges
> are seems like a harder problem then just telling POV-Ray to take the
> intersection of some simple planes.

You have 16 vertices. It is best to think of them as 4-bit words. The
bit i controls wether the coordnate i is -1 or 1. Then you have a line
between vertex n and vertex m if and only if n and m differ by exactly
one bit (or have 3 bits in common). A face consists of 4 vertices that
have 2 bits in common and a hyperface consists of 8 vertices that have
1 bit in common.

> Thanks.

You are welcome

--
merge{#local i=-11;#while(i<11)#local
i=i+.1;sphere{<i*(i*i*(.05-i*i*(4e-7*i*i+3e-4))-3)10*sin(i)30>.5}#end