POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question3. Simple Raytracer : Re: Question3. Simple Raytracer Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question3. Simple Raytracer
From: Sascha Ledinsky
Date: 1 May 2004 05:36:19
Message: <40936f93@news.povray.org>
Gena wrote:

>> Not supported:
>> - no u/v mapping yet
>> - no transparency yet
>> - no shadows yet
>
> That's actually very important functionality in my case.

u/v mapping and transparency would be easy to add. Shadow-maps are a bit more
tricky...

> I don't distribute source code since version 1.1
> because we decided (Tom Aust and me) to try to
> make commercial version. But that's still a plan...
> But because of that fact I also cannot use anybody's
> code and I have to do almost everything myself. I would
> be glad to colloborate with anybody but at this stage
> it would be unfair from my side to promise anything.
>
> Gena.

I thought that this might be a problem. My code is part of another application I
write, which is GPL'd, so it cannot be used in a commercial application.

Anyway, for raytracing huge numbers of triangles, a "simple" raytracer won't do,
you'd need some more sohpisticated algorithms like octrees, vista-buffer, etc.
to get a reasonable performance.
So I'd suggest to start with a zBuffer approach.

I've found this document to be quite helpful, I used 1/z to interpolate the
normals for phong shading, and of couse it can be used for u/v mapping too:
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~mrmeanie/tmap/tmap.htm

-Sascha