POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : bicubic bezier and hermite patches : Re: bicubic bezier and hermite patches Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bicubic bezier and hermite patches
From: andrel
Date: 9 Mar 2004 10:52:07
Message: <404DE7F7.8050406@hotmail.com>
The way I do it is as follows:
For both representations I compute the values at the 16
points (0,0),(1/3,0),(2/3,0),(1,0),(0,1/3),(1/3,1/3),...(1,1)
as a function of the input parameters. This wil give a 16 by
16 matrix. Then I compute the inverses of these matrices.
conversion from bezier to hermite is then by first applying
the bezier matrix followed by the inverse hermite matrix.
You can do this in one step of course.

Hermite patches use the value at the 4 points, plus the
two first order derivatives in the u and v direction,
plus the second order derivative in the uv direction.
So we have for each corner i: A_i, dA_i/du, dA_i/dv and
d^2A_i/dudv, if this notation makes any sense to you.

If you need more help I will be glad to be of assistance,
(<didactic mode> but you generally understand it better if
you do the computations yourself </didactic mode>).

	Andrel