POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Object Oriented POV code : Re: Object Oriented POV code Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Oriented POV code
From: Dan P
Date: 22 Feb 2004 19:56:56
Message: <40394fd8@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote in message
> > Actually, I think I am wired a little different. Here's an example: when
you
> > said to someone, "If you don't know what operator+() does with the type
you
> > are using, then you should seek another job, IMHO," I thought that was
far
> > worse than anything I have ever said to anybody on here by at least a
factor
> > of 10.
>
> Yeah, speaking as the recipient of that comment, I did find it a little
uncalled
> for. I'm not sure whether Warp was trying to suggest I'm an idiot or
simply
> assuming that myself and every professional games programmer I know fails
> understand how to write code, but in either case I think he was out of
line.

> Though my policy is that I don't tend to take offence unless it's a direct
> insult. i.e. if you actually think I'm an idiot but you don't say so then
we
> should get along just fine.

As I think more and more about this (I went for a drive to cool off), I
realize what is happening and what I'm doing wrong. I came on these groups
initially because I just made a move to an apartment where I'm isolated and
I needed some social interaction. I felt that, by coming on to a board where
I felt I could contribute, I would fill that need. Colored by the fact that
I am easily at the lowest point in my life of nothing but low points, I
didn't come in with a very thick skin to begin with.

It wasn't your commentary on my code, Warp, that made me angry initially --
it was when you supported Thorsten's personal attack on me that made me
angry with you. I've learned a lot from your critique and I feel honored
that you took the time to teach me how to do it right. Proof's in the thread
on my claim there.

Truth is, almost every one of the messages on this board makes me sad in
some way. Disrespect makes me feel sad -- not even angry, just sad, which
turns to anger when I start to rebel against it. I can't afford to be sad
and it is coloring how I read things and not in a good way. There are povray
boards that are making me happy, however, so I've decided to desubscribe to
this group and stick to the boards that make me happy. I'm not lurking --
not expecting a response -- Chris, you don't have to kill-file me -- I'm not
going to post here again.

For what it's worth, please accept my sincerest apologies for walking in and
stirring things up.