POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Object Oriented POV code : Re: Object Oriented POV code Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Oriented POV code
From: Warp
Date: 22 Feb 2004 19:53:17
Message: <40394efd@news.povray.org>
Tek <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> Yeah, speaking as the recipient of that comment, I did find it a little uncalled
> for. I'm not sure whether Warp was trying to suggest I'm an idiot or simply
> assuming that myself and every professional games programmer I know fails to
> understand how to write code, but in either case I think he was out of line.

  Nope, it was not directed at you personally.

  From what I understood, you said something in the lines of "I don't want
to hide a complex operation behind an overloaded operator because then
someone else could use that operator in the wrong way, not knowing what
it really does".
  To that I responded basically "if this someone" (ie not you) "uses your
library for some time-critical application and does not know what the
operator does, then he is in the wrong business".
  What I meant is that it's not your fault if someone uses your library
in the wrong way without taking care of knowing which functions are heavy
and which aren't.
  You can, of course, design the public interface of your library in
such way that even less aware coders are warned about a possible
inefficiency, and I fully understand this ideology. I just opposed
the idea of avoiding operator overloading in all cases.

  So no, I was not directing any insult or anything else against you
personally.