POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 : Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5
From: Marc Roth
Date: 20 Feb 2004 19:25:39
Message: <4036a583@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> If you get a chance, try XP.  It might work better as it came out after
> WLANs were popular, rather than before.
might be a good idea but as the server is used for my fathers company it
should only use legally obtained software and buying a new OS is for my
father, as his part of the networks works quite well, not an option...

> Alternatively, I would strongly recommend use a real WLAN router.  Those
> routers (for around US$ 100 you get really good and feature-rich ones these
> days) usually have a few ethernet connectors, a WLAN interface and an
> ethernet interface for the external network connection (i.e. a DSL or cable
> modem, some even include a modem or ISDN interface or at least a serial
> port).  And these routers can be configured via a web browser from the
> inside of the network easily.
see above :(

> Even more important, you can hide the Windows system behind a firewall and
> only expose selected ports (i.e. if you run a web server on the Windows
> system you would only expose port 80).  Especially a Windows box connected
> directly to the internet is a problem these days with all the viruses
> floating around.  Even more so if you also store important or private data
> on the Windows system!
about viruses there should be no problem, the server has a norton
antivirus & firewall with uptodate virusdefinitions and only ports that
are neccessary are opened.

> And a router also does not go offline
> if the Windows system crashes.
i know that windows is supposed to be crashing rather frequent but our
server usually keeps running over some months before a reboot is needed,
maybe by some new security update or something like this... and this
means maximum 3min downtime, which is acceptable IMO

bye,
	Marc

and god said: let there be a light_source { location SUN look_at EARTH,
rgb SUNLIGHT }