POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 : Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 19 Feb 2004 06:43:38
Message: <4034a16a@news.povray.org>
In article <40348604@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   JPEG2000 is the next version of JPEG (and certainly better), even though
> I don't know if you can call it a "different format from JPEG"...

It is really much different.  the formats only really have the name in
common.

>   Does anyone have any idea why JPEG2000 has not widespread even though
> it's so much better than JPEG? I have always wondered this and found it
> a big pitty.

The compression algorithm is far more complex.  And I am not even sure there
is a license free way to use it.  Either way, there is no good, portable
library to read/write it yet.  The IJG JPEG library is kind of a "standard"
for JPEG on the other hand.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde