POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 : Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5
From: Dan P
Date: 18 Feb 2004 12:19:09
Message: <40339e8d$1@news.povray.org>
"Darren" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
> Marc Roth wrote:
> > an alternative would be a program i can use in a batchfile to convert
> > files from bmp to jpg,
>
> I'm doing the same thing. I use NETPBM aka PBMPlus. A free set of tools
> for doing all kinds of image manipulation. Have POVRAY output PPM files
> (which is one of the NETPBM formats) and just use PPMTOJPEG to compress
> it. I believe it's available on sourceforge, runs fine on both Windows
> and Unix.
<snip />

I'll throw in my recommendation for netpbm as well. It's a little odd to
learn at first until it snaps in your head how they designed it, but it is
the ultimate conversion utility and it handles damn near every image format
you'll ever see -- and you can make uber MPEG-1 movies with it too. It's
like POV-Ray -- you /can/ find software with fancy interfaces, but you'll
never get the true feeling of power that netpbm will give you (arggh, arggh,
arggh, more power!)