POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : movie within : Re: movie within Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: movie within
From: Dan P
Date: 4 Feb 2004 17:08:34
Message: <40216d62@news.povray.org>
"Mike Raiford" <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> "Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
>
> > If you free a pointer, you must make sure it is a pointer first. This
> > statement stands on its own. Yes, I agree that it isn't necessary to
cast
> > void * to free a pointer and yes I can see all kinds of reasons not to.
> > Because you might fumble and free something that isn't a pointer isn't
one
> > of them. A disciplined programmer doesn't do that.
>
> True, but (in the real world) when faced with deadlines, and dealing with
> code others have written, casting like this is dangerous. Eventually, it
> will happen that you free a pointer that was never a pointer.

Not you, but that other person, according to what you are saying. If they
don't put competent C/C++ programmers on projects, they'll have bigger
problems than that.

> > (Since I need to be so precise: The last sentence does not say you are
not
> > disciplined programmer.)
>
> I didn't necessarily think you were meaning me specifically. Besides, you
> have no idea what my programming abilities are, nor have I revealed such
> abilities.

A very true fact. All I have to go on is that you're criticising mine. Now,
criticising, like ignorance, doesn't necessarily mean negative. I like
criticism. I learn from criticism. I learned that I don't have to flush
stdio. I learned that I shouldn't cast pointers to void when I free them.
Learning is what I like to do and this thread makes me happy.

> > If it is obvious, it doesn't require mention, does it?
>
> Hmm. I was a bit too subtle. No one writes perfect code. No code is
> perfectly self-documenting. You were inferring in your statement that
> everyone says your code is self documenting. This to me is an arrogant
> statement.

Everybody on my projects actually do say my code is self documenting. I've
never had a single exception, so I am not making a generalization at all. I
really do write perfectly self-documenting code when it is a real project
with other people and not just a little motion blur program I threw together
for myself that I shared with others (not part of a project context, but to
show how to average the pixels together). All I can do is make that claim,
however, it's up to you whether you believe it or not.

> > They have close buttons for that.
>
> Yes, but sometimes, people want to slap other people in the back of the
head
> when they are acting obnoxious.

You're only saying I'm obnoxious because I'm responding. Therefore, stop
responding and I'll stop being obnoxious.

> > I didn't say I didn't know what epitome meant. I said that it is
> pretentious
> > to use it. Since we're so free with our unsoliticted criticism here, I
get
> > to criticise too. Goose and gander.
>
> What word would *you* have used?

"Of course, as you have stated, you are the epitome of perfection, and would
never make a mistake like this, even if you are casting variables left and
right."

I would have said,

"Of course, as you said, you're perfect and would never make a mistake like
this."

But, that's just me. "You are the epitome" is technically not necessary in
your sentence, but I'm not one to nitpick about grammar either. I'm just
saying that, just like you take my sentences as arrogant, I take yours as
pretentious.

> > What, asking for it and thanking him for it?
>
> Some way to thank him. Kind of like flipping off the person who let you on
> to the freeway?

When TF decided to punch me in the mouth, he walked over and started
kicking. Everything was civil until that.

> > Describe how one should act then when they do not know everything.
>
> I guess the first step would be not to act like you know everything.
Listen.
> Ask questions.

Funny. That's what I was doing. I still don't think you've read my posts. At
least, not without a pre-judgment.

> > I understand why you'd want me to shrug and walk away. After all, when
we
> > punch somebody in the face, we generally don't like it when they get
back
> up
> > and punch you back.
>
> So, on the street, if you don't like how someone acts, or if they
criticize
> you, you're going to jump into a fist-fight, or at the very least a heated
> hours-long debate?

If they don't like how I act, then that's fine. Until the punch me in the
face. Then I either get into the fist-fight or heated debate. Whatever I
need to do to remind influence that person not to punch me again.

> > I asked for it by admitting I'm not all knowing. It's like throwing
steak
> > a pack of hounds. "Here's a guy we can stroke our egos over." You picked
> the
> > wrong guy.
>
> I think that's a load of crap. You asked for it by being argumentative to
> anyone who criticizes you.

Telling people that I'm stupid and not to be listened to is not criticism,
it is abuse. Learn the difference.

> > Actually, that happens to be my same assertion about you as well. By
> reading
> > in insults in sentences that aren't insults, you're twisting what I'm
> saying
> > to you in your head. In fact, you're hearing what you want to hear.
THAT'S
> > what I find so amusing... to see people get so defensive about things
that
> > have no implied meanings. And when I don't mean to imply, I am pretty
> > upfront about it.
>
> You're right. I don't see any subtlety in what you're saying.

Good.

> > I didn't start it. Go and read. Again, I'll wait.
>
> Hmm. you're right. someone told you you were wrong, and *that* was what
> started the flame war. My mistake, boy do I feel foolish, now.

Repeat how they said I was wrong.

> > By that definition, then, TF is a troll. After all, why does one bother
> > bait me unless they want a fight?
>
> No. But hijacking a thread for your own personal enjoyment is considered
> trollish. What was the original topic of this thread? True, Thorsten, Warp
> and I are doing nothing but feeding the troll, in this case.

That's not what I'm doing. That I happen to enjoy defending myself is an
after-effect. I'm not doing this for the enjoyment itself.

> > > "I think you're a great person, but you're such an impudent jerk for
> > > correcting my code when I posted it publically" -- Essentially what I
> said
> > > you're doing you're doing.
>
> > I sure don't remember witing that sentence that you are claiming to
quote
> > from me. Please provide the date so I can look that up and apologize if
> > did. From what I remember, I asked him for his guidance because I
respect
> > him and when he gave it, I responded with grace, humility, and
> appreciation.
> > I like it when these things are in writing. You can always just go and
> read
> > it for proof.
>
> Whoops. I was paraphrasing. And-- I don't necessarily think you have
> responded with grace, humility and appreciation.

Don't put quotes around paraphrases. And, you're entitled to your opinion.
If you want to back that up with more quotes from that message -- from
before he kicked me -- feel free to do so.

> > So, you're a troll then?
>
> See above.

See above.

> > You can also argue that a person isn't obligated to smack you back when
> you
> > punch them in the face. That isn't how I operate, however. Go punch
> someone
> > else if you need to feel big.
>
> So, you admit you're a coward?

...how do you get that from the paragraph? Do you mean to be courageous is
to take punches in the face? I suppose that might apply to boxing, but not
to this.

> OK.. now, slightly off topic, it seems to me in other places besides this
> thread you're actually sane. My observation is someone has ruffled your
> feathers here, and that's the reason for the storm of posts. That's why I
> say it's usually a good idea to shrug and walk away.

Yes. Thorsten ruffled my feathers by saying something disrespectful to me
and I responded in kind. Then the rest of you joined in. I'm responding in
kind. When you're respectful, I respond in kind. If you don't want