POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : movie within : Re: movie within Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: movie within
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 4 Feb 2004 16:31:26
Message: <402164ae$1@news.povray.org>
"Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> If you free a pointer, you must make sure it is a pointer first. This
> statement stands on its own. Yes, I agree that it isn't necessary to cast
> void * to free a pointer and yes I can see all kinds of reasons not to.
> Because you might fumble and free something that isn't a pointer isn't one
> of them. A disciplined programmer doesn't do that.

True, but (in the real world) when faced with deadlines, and dealing with
code others have written, casting like this is dangerous. Eventually, it
will happen that you free a pointer that was never a pointer.

> (Since I need to be so precise: The last sentence does not say you are not
> disciplined programmer.)

I didn't necessarily think you were meaning me specifically. Besides, you
have no idea what my programming abilities are, nor have I revealed such
abilities.

> If it is obvious, it doesn't require mention, does it?

Hmm. I was a bit too subtle. No one writes perfect code. No code is
perfectly self-documenting. You were inferring in your statement that
everyone says your code is self documenting. This to me is an arrogant
statement.

> They have close buttons for that.

Yes, but sometimes, people want to slap other people in the back of the head
when they are acting obnoxious.

> I didn't say I didn't know what epitome meant. I said that it is
pretentious
> to use it. Since we're so free with our unsoliticted criticism here, I get
> to criticise too. Goose and gander.

What word would *you* have used?

> What, asking for it and thanking him for it?

Some way to thank him. Kind of like flipping off the person who let you on
to the freeway?

> Describe how one should act then when they do not know everything.

I guess the first step would be not to act like you know everything. Listen.
Ask questions.

> I understand why you'd want me to shrug and walk away. After all, when we
> punch somebody in the face, we generally don't like it when they get back
up
> and punch you back.

So, on the street, if you don't like how someone acts, or if they criticize
you, you're going to jump into a fist-fight, or at the very least a heated
hours-long debate?

> I asked for it by admitting I'm not all knowing. It's like throwing steak
> a pack of hounds. "Here's a guy we can stroke our egos over." You picked
the
> wrong guy.

I think that's a load of crap. You asked for it by being argumentative to
anyone who criticizes you.

> Actually, that happens to be my same assertion about you as well. By
reading
> in insults in sentences that aren't insults, you're twisting what I'm
saying
> to you in your head. In fact, you're hearing what you want to hear. THAT'S
> what I find so amusing... to see people get so defensive about things that
> have no implied meanings. And when I don't mean to imply, I am pretty
> upfront about it.

You're right. I don't see any subtlety in what you're saying.

> I didn't start it. Go and read. Again, I'll wait.

Hmm. you're right. someone told you you were wrong, and *that* was what
started the flame war. My mistake, boy do I feel foolish, now.

> By that definition, then, TF is a troll. After all, why does one bother to
> bait me unless they want a fight?

No. But hijacking a thread for your own personal enjoyment is considered
trollish. What was the original topic of this thread? True, Thorsten, Warp
and I are doing nothing but feeding the troll, in this case.

> > "I think you're a great person, but you're such an impudent jerk for
> > correcting my code when I posted it publically" -- Essentially what I
said
> > you're doing you're doing.

> I sure don't remember witing that sentence that you are claiming to quote
> from me. Please provide the date so I can look that up and apologize if I
> did. From what I remember, I asked him for his guidance because I respect
> him and when he gave it, I responded with grace, humility, and
appreciation.
> I like it when these things are in writing. You can always just go and
read
> it for proof.

Whoops. I was paraphrasing. And-- I don't necessarily think you have
responded with grace, humility and appreciation.

> So, you're a troll then?

See above.

> You can also argue that a person isn't obligated to smack you back when
you
> punch them in the face. That isn't how I operate, however. Go punch
someone
> else if you need to feel big.

So, you admit you're a coward?

OK.. now, slightly off topic, it seems to me in other places besides this
thread you're actually sane. My observation is someone has ruffled your
feathers here, and that's the reason for the storm of posts. That's why I
say it's usually a good idea to shrug and walk away.