POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : movie within : Re: movie within Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: movie within
From: Dan P
Date: 4 Feb 2004 11:40:07
Message: <40212067@news.povray.org>
news:40211af6@news.povray.org...
> Dan P <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> "I looked you up and, wow, I didn't realize how fresh out of school you
were.
> You graduated with a BS in 2001? I'm really sorry, man, I didn't mean to
get
> old-school on you. I just assumed you had more experience based on your
> attitude. When I said I've been working with POV-ray (and other 3D
> applications) for almost a decade, I wasn't commenting on your experience
or
> anything. I really /was/ expecting a big long resume of amazing projects,
> not a vague link to the Mac POV-ray site. You should take comfort in the
> fact that you actually convinced me you must be all-that!!! Hey, maybe you
> still are.
>
> I know how Illinois can make some people jaded, being born in Wisconsin.
We
> think it's all that flat land. But, you're all our |F|riendly |I|llinois
> |B|uddie|s|. It looks like you went to a good school, though. Things'll
work
> out. Hang in there, buddy. You'll make a big splash and laugh at all this
in
> five or so years."
>
>   If that's not insulting someone based solely on the fact that he
> graduated in 2001, then what is?

First off, there are many facts there, not just the fact that he graduated
in 2001. Do you feel he should be insulted by them? That's really
disturbing. I'm responding to his point that I know nothing about him. Given
how insulting he was about my ignorance about him, I was honestly expecting
a lot more. Put yourself up on a pedestal like that and you better give
reason to crane their necks upwards, my friend. Oh, and by the way, I've
never asked you guys to put me on a pedestal, although I can understand that
you would feel I am because I don't cower in your omniscient presence.

> > You are literally describing yourself and Thorsten. Whom am /I/
> > disrespecting?
>
>   You are disrespecting Thorsten, for instance. Just read your own text
> above.

Respect begets respect. Disrespect begets disrespect.

> > It seems the both of you are interacting with some mental
> > idea of what I am. And I think this mental idea is constucted to bolster
> > your self-esteem.
>
>   The mental idea is based on your C code, your opinions on programming
> which you have presented here and your arrogant attitude towards people.

*Shrug* okay.

> > >   If you start insulting people you are going to make them angry.
There's
> > > nothing odd about that.
>
> > Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, Warp, can't you see you're arguing for me? It's
> > amazing how many contridictions you guys put in your postings. It's what
> > makes them so entertaining.
>
> > And troll? Trolls don't post source code and answer questions. Look at
your
> > own responses to what I post and ask yourself who the trolls are.
>
>   Blaming others for things you are being blamed is a typical braindead
> troll technique and only shows that you lack the imagination of defending
> yourself with rational and original arguments, besides being childish.

I agree. Again, something you are doing. I'm not fooled by the troll-trick,
Warp. There is plenty of evidence that I'm not a troll on this board
already.

>   5-year olds argue with "no, I'm not, you are!", not grown-ups.

Again, I agree. We agree on so many things, Warp.

>   And yes, I am insulting you. I'm not even trying to deny that. You have
> deserved to be insulted with your arrogant and hypocritical attitude.
> But at least my insults are original and argumented, unlike yours.

Then argument them. Explain how I'm being hypocritical. Hell, explain my
assertions as you see them. Listen, I can understand why you would flame me
and after I went back and read my posts I got it. I answered this thread
but, at the same time, admitted that I didn't know everything. By the logic
of the tragically insecure, that means that I don't know anything.

And furthermore, what is all this hullabaloo about knowing things anyway?
Aren't the purpose of these boards to learn? How do you expect people to
learn anything if you disrespect them for your ignorant opinions of what
they know? This is just one of the many contridictions I keep reading: a
board to learn, yet you have to know everything before you start. And if you
have inperfections, better run, boy, because we's gonna whip you good!

It must be so hard to live that way, needing so bad for people to say, "ooh,
you're so smart." Needing it so bad that even when somebody comes along LIKE
I DID EARLIER IN THIS THREAD and said how smart you are and how much I
appreciated you with complete honesty and without provocation, you still
seem to fight for it, as if you have just done a double-take and didn't hear
it because it just couldn't be true!

What I think is going on here is that Thorsten is jealous because I didn't
say that about him. And since his opinion of himself is so astronomically
high, that means that I'm stupid and must be flamed. And I think you are
defending Thorsten because you think that if you get Thorsten's favor that
you'll be more important in the POV-ray community and meet your needs.

I know you imagine I have your needs, but I don't; I don't need your
respect. I do deserve apologies, though (although I'm not naive enough about
human nature to expect them). I also know that if I don't defend myself
against these attacks that you'll lose respect for me. Probably did because
I said I was going to respond by making the software.

I also think that you don't want me to make the software because you know it
will prove you wrong (beyond sin for you). So, you want to discourage me
because you perceive my success to be a threat to your self-esteem. That is
sad, man.

Also, I talk in active-voice, which means "A Person does Something". So, as
a result, I use "you" a lot. You're not used to this direct way of speaking
so you take it as me threatening you. It so incenses you that you don't even
read the posts and take the tone as challenge to your prowess.

What is truly ironic is that I basically do worship the ground you walk on
because your targa averager, yet you see me as some sort of disrespecting
child. I think it all comes down to the fact that I don't think that if I
acknowledge your greatness that I must therefore be diminished by that
acknowledgement. What fool would ever give a compliment in that environment?