POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : movie within : Re: movie within Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: movie within
From: Dan P
Date: 4 Feb 2004 10:07:00
Message: <40210a94@news.povray.org>
news:4020bd10@news.povray.org...
>   Don't take this too personal, but if your programming experience is
> at the level shown at the beginning of this thread, don't put your own
> expectations too high.
>
>   Making a graphical modeller is *DIFFICULT*, much much more difficult
> than a command-line image averaging program.

You think?

>   It's of course a good personal project, but don't expect it to be
> a good piece of software for wider audience. (Not even if you made
> it closed-source; you would probably not believe how difficult
> maintaining and upgrading a program of that magnitude can be, and
> you'll have to do that a lot if you expect it to become a popular
> program.)
>
>   Experience in developing and maintaining bigger programs is quite
> crucial in this kind of projects. This needs years of studying and
> programming experience.

Thank you for the encouragement. I believe my 15 years of studying and
programming experience will come in quite handy. But, that isn't something
to argue, that's something to demonstrate with the program itself, which
isn't a quick one-off program like the averager I posted.

Warp, I didn't argue with you about your coding styles because I didn't want
to get into a fight over something that is largely a matter of style. For
example, even though I used global variables, it makes it easier to take
that program and put it into a class that way -- I wouldn't have to change
all the references in the code so they were no longer in a struct when I
encapsulate it. Putting error handling before putting success handling is
very odd and makes the code harder to read (some people have that goal,
though), in my opinion, but I respected your style. Casting a pointer to
(void *) when freeing is actually a common practice and if you widened your
experience with C you'd see a lot of other people use it. I put fflush() in
there because I'm in the habit of flushing buffered streams -- habit -- let
me say that again, -- habit -- and so it was something I typed
automatically. Returning 0 instead of EXIT_SUCCESS is also standard, and if
you learned C when I did from the K&R book, you'd know that too. But, you
know what, I didn't want to make you look bad because your way of doing
things works as well and it is a matter of personal preference. Your coding
style is not the /RIGHT/ coding style, it is /YOUR/ coding style, Warp. If
you were argue /RIGHT/ coding style, then according to the fathers of C, I'm
actually closer to it than you.

As far as including variables I don't use, like the version, and the static
insecure char buffers, that was there for the same reason I didn't check the
command-line arguments -- I wrote it for personal use to put together an
animation quickly for a project I was working on and if I wanted to refine
the code to release to the public on a board like you did, I certainly would
have checked for those parameters. I understand that you're a perfectionist
about these things, but I'm more goal-driven than yourself, and the goal was
create motion-blur, and the goal of the post was to demonstrate how to do it
with sample code, not impress you. I understand how you might find that hard
to imagine.

Now, I have too much class to download your targa averager and nitpick over
your coding style and say it is wrong to a group of your peers. That would
be disrespectful and naive. When you get more experience working on
projects, you'll understand.