POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : movie within : Re: movie within Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: movie within
From: Dan P
Date: 3 Feb 2004 22:43:30
Message: <40206a62@news.povray.org>
"Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> I've decided to ultimately answer this thread by writing the software.
> This is my last reply on this opinion thread.

You guys have convinced me to create a level of abstraction in my code so
that it is not too tightly bound to DirectX. After I create it in Direct3D
(and learn it as a result), I will move on to extending it to OpenGL (and
learn that as well too). No, I don't know these interfaces very well, but
I'll learn from this experience. Even if I don't wind up putting OpenGL in
myself, it gives someone else an easier time doing so when I release the
source.

Now, I suppose I could say that I'll do this only if reality doesn't get in
the way, namely finishing my Masters and getting my Doctorate (in Comp
Sci/Scientific, TF, if you must know, not that it matters), but I don't like
to make excuses like that. Instead, after (if) I get a working framework up,
we can get involved in a community of interest, even if my first experiences
with this community have been less than stellar and might turn off other
people to the whole thing. I suspect most of you are reasonable, intelligent
people who are willing to build up the field, regardless of the larger
voices that seem to shout over the crowd. The overwhelming proof supports
this perception.

I have loved and used POV-Ray (even the Mac version, TF!) for more than a
decade and am looking forward to contributing to it somehow if I have the
moxy. POV-Ray rules.