POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : movie within : Re: movie within Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: movie within
From: Dan P
Date: 3 Feb 2004 19:13:53
Message: <40203941$1@news.povray.org>
"Tom Galvin" <tom### [at] imporg> wrote in message
> "Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote in
>

> > No, no, no, read it -- words have meanings -- I say SGI isn't
> > clamoring, I'm not saying other people aren't. However, because there
> > is so much on-the-line for Microsoft, I think DirectX will surpass
> > OpenGL.
>
> You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think we will see, DirectX
> for Linux or Mac anytime soon.  IMHO, the industry is shifting back to
> multiple platforms and open standards.  MS is a bit late for the party.  A
> few more quarters like the last few should bring them around.

Thorsten -- take notes and laminate them. This is how you reply to an
opinion thread.

I respect your opinion, Tom, and I hope you are right. I'd rather see OpenGL
be the dominant force out there, even if it is made by SGI. After all, I
don't really like either of the companies, but if I have to choose one over
the other, it would be SGI.

/Even if I do think .NET is a wonderful thing and am using DirectX now not
for reasons that I am some Microsoft zealot, but because I want to use the
full power of my video card./

Civil discourse. I love it. Thank you Tom, you made my night and brought
hope back to me. You too, Warp, btw, because you were always civil as well,
albeit as arrogant as I was :-) But when you make the stuff you have, you
have a right to be arrogant (moreso when I talk to you because, even though
we might have some differences, I still consider you a personal hero for
your targa averager and obvious and well backed-up understanding of C).

In fact, Thorsten has a right to be arrogant too, being on the official
POV-Ray team. Arrogance begets arrogance and it can be fun. I'm not sure
what role Thorsten played on the team, but I'm going to bet on him not being
the guy who bought the donuts and poured the coffee. I don't think that guy
gets listed on the messages screen (unless he bought really, really nice
donuts).

I think this thread is actually over now.