POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Complex see-through objects. : Re: Complex see-through objects. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complex see-through objects.
From: Marvin Taylor
Date: 29 Jan 2004 12:35:48
Message: <40194474@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

>>Which of course is nowhere near correct, but is it possible to apply a
>>'transmit' value (or another feature) to a complex object to make an
>>"echo" like in this manner?
>
> Well, you can turn every texture into a macro and parameterize the transmit
> value. It can be done, but could take some time to rig properly. Also,
> having many complex transparent objects on top of each other could be
> extremely slow and the results confusing and not that helpful.

Thanks Gilles, Rune.

FYI, this is for enhancements to a set of animation macros, and this
question was for a subset that would wrap around the animation portion
of the script and could be switched on/off by commenting a line or two.

The intent of the subset of macros is to allow tweaking the movements
and *QUICKLY* generate a single image to see the motion.  And then
repeat as needed.

Although I like the visual effect of the "echoes" for its own merit, I
wanted this as a additional information when the user tries to verify
proximity of objects, the shape of a path, or things of that nature.

The subset of macros works now -- but without any fading.  I'd hoped
that adding fade would be less difficult.  Oh well.

Marvin

PS: The macro package (called "TikTok") is a work that I started mid '03
and showed to Gilles in Aug'03.  I'm just now getting back to polishing
it up, with examples & some reasonable docs.