POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Finding unknown coordinates : Re: Finding unknown coordinates Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finding unknown coordinates
From: ABX
Date: 30 Jul 2002 05:43:08
Message: <3hnckuotcr4vk7edsp3qu8h43856a7v56h@4ax.com>
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:01:57 EDT, "Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I have a simple (and crappy) scene of what is supposed to be an elliptical
> galaxy. The galaxy is made by randomly translating and rotating 15000 white
> spheres with ambient 1.
>
> What I need help with, is finding the coordinates of the translated and
> rotated sphere, so I can then translate it by a fraction of its y-value to
> squash the shape of the galaxy without distorting the shapes of the stars.
>
> Can anyone help?

Here is solution to your problem:

#version 3.5;
#include "transforms.inc"
#declare Center=<...>;
#declare Transform=transform{translate .. rotate ... scale ... matrix ...};
sphere{ Center Radius transform{ Transform } }
#declare NewCenter = vtransform(Center, transform{ Transform } );

BTW: If you are posting here becouse only here you can find advanced users you
are wrong. Such newbie question should be posted in povray.newusers group IMO.

ABX