POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Terrain Generation : Re: Terrain Generation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Terrain Generation
From: Dan P
Date: 3 Jan 2004 22:40:44
Message: <3ff78b3c$1@news.povray.org>
news:3ff78476@news.povray.org...
> Dan P <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > LOL -- well, after reading your other posts, I have an inkling of just
how
> > behind I am. I just did an isosurface using the wrinkles function and
I'm
> > laughing at all the effort I went through this weekend writing a program
> > generate plasma fractals.

<snip>

>   If you want to generate a height_field from POV-Ray itself using a
> pattern, you can do it without having to create an external image file
> using the function image feature.
>   (The example in the documentation about creating the image file for
> the heightfield was written in the POV-Ray 3.1 era, and while it still
> can sometimes be useful, it's slightly obsolete due to the new function
> image feature which allows you to do the same thing without an external
> image file.)

Very cool. Thanks!!! I was still living in the past (man!). I've been
playing with isosurfaces tonight and am having a lot of fun. It opens up a
lot of new possibilities that I hadn't considered before (in particular, I
like the bumps pattern effect on it). Before, I always created my textures
using Photoshop and such. Now, I'll use bozo and wrinkles more and save a
lot of parsing time. I'll also use the function for the height_field (gonna
try that now).