POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Terrain Generation : Re: Terrain Generation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Terrain Generation
From: Warp
Date: 3 Jan 2004 22:11:50
Message: <3ff78476@news.povray.org>
Dan P <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> LOL -- well, after reading your other posts, I have an inkling of just how
> behind I am. I just did an isosurface using the wrinkles function and I'm
> laughing at all the effort I went through this weekend writing a program to
> generate plasma fractals.

  Isosurfaces are very flexible and allow you to eg. make terrains with
shapes not possible with a height_field (eg. tunnels and such).
However, the problem with isosurfaces is that they tend to take much
longer to render than a height_field.

  If you want to generate a height_field from POV-Ray itself using a
pattern, you can do it without having to create an external image file
using the function image feature.
  (The example in the documentation about creating the image file for
the heightfield was written in the POV-Ray 3.1 era, and while it still
can sometimes be useful, it's slightly obsolete due to the new function
image feature which allows you to do the same thing without an external
image file.)