POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Terrain Generation : Terrain Generation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Terrain Generation
From: Dan P
Date: 3 Jan 2004 20:50:32
Message: <3ff77168@news.povray.org>
After reviewing the documentation on generating terrains, I have come up
with a simpler version in povray that should yield more accurate results. If
this kind of thing has already been posted, my apologies in advance.

-- povray.ini

Input_File_Name=main.pov
Output_File_Name=terrain.tga
Output_File_Type=t

Width=512
Height=256 // Any size

--- main.pov

#include "colors.inc"

global_settings
{
 hf_gray_16
}

camera
{
 orthographic // Orthographic is going to be faster.
 location <0, 0, -5> // Change z from 0...inf depending on how many
mountains you want.
}

plane
{
 z, 0

 pigment
 {
  wrinkles

  color_map
  {
   [0 Black]
   [1 White]
  }
 }

 finish
 {
  ambient 1 // Using ambient here removes the need for a light source and
gives the precise value for the pixel instead of one modified by a light
source.
 }
}