POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Re: Cinema4D - POV-Ray radiosity comparisons : Re: Cinema4D - POV-Ray radiosity comparisons Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cinema4D - POV-Ray radiosity comparisons
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 19 Dec 2003 13:04:51
Message: <3fe33dc3$1@news.povray.org>

news:3j4### [at] tritonimagicode...

> It depends on what kind of results you want.  The aim of any radiosity
> algorithm should be to converge to the correct solution if you increase
> the quality settings.  How it looks in a fast render much depends on the
> settings in POV-Ray.  To me it seems the default settings usually lead
> to a fairly uniform result, meaning the artefacts have similar intensity
> in all parts of the scene.

To be fair, POV-Ray default radiosity usually tend to work wonders and when
the scenes are messy enough, once can get away with very low quality values.
It's only in a few cases like this is that the radiosity problem seems
harder to solve for POV-Ray. This is why I tested C4D on this, as one of my
reasons for turning to C4D is indeed to be able to render complex interior
scenes for which I couldn't find a viable (timewise/memorywise) solution in
POV-Ray. Of course, there will be horrible trade-offs that I'm not aware of
yet in C4D but then I still have POV-Ray ;-)

> If you turn on always_sample you will see that the artefacts are
> slightly diminished (esp. lower right corner) but the render time is
> increased by more than 50% (28846 instead of 21738 samples)

What seems certain now is that both POV-Ray and C4D use the same basic
algorithm. C4D also has an "always_sample off" option (didn't try it). What
it doesn't have is the equivalent of mosaic preview (it's always like a
pixel per pixel pretrace). It does have, when the quality is high, a lag
time before the pretrace starts (POV-Ray does this too). It can do partial
radiosity renders (in the modelling view only - POV is much more flexible
when it comes to partial renderings, but I'll explain more when I know C4D
enough to make educated comparisons). I'm not sure how far these comparisons
can go anyway, because part of the speed difference could very well be
explained not by a faster radiosity algorithm, but simply by the use of scan
line.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com