POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Springs : Springs Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Springs
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 7 Nov 2003 18:36:43
Message: <3fac2c8b@news.povray.org>
So, here's the deal:
I've got an array of points which are almost evenly distributed on the
surface of a sphere (using my Electro-Static-Repulsion Macro). Now, what I
want to do, is add springs between ALL nodes, so that the sphere will try to
keep its spherical hull EVEN THOUGH it will be pulled down by gravity onto
some surface (a plain for now, I will add trace() calls later).

In effect, what I want to do is create a macro which will enable me to place
a droplet of water onto any surface with proper surface tension to avoid
that typical "half-sphere on an object" look.

My question is: can anyone explain to me, or give me a link, how to properly
model springs based on distance, e.g. the formulaes to make springs act
stronger when two points get too close or too distant, but don't do much
within a certain vicinity of a given distance?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

PS: I've tried google with "springs math" and such, but I think I'm using
the wrong keywords. It's late, I've got to admit that... :-)

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

---