POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : decreasing mesh memory usage. : Re: decreasing mesh memory usage. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: decreasing mesh memory usage.
From: Shay
Date: 29 Oct 2003 10:25:18
Message: <3f9fdbde@news.povray.org>
news:3f9fd901@news.povray.org...
| Shay:
|   Is this true in Linux as well?
|
| Warp:
|   What do you think the swap partition is for?

Thanks, I'll take that as a yes.

Honestly, I don't know d!(k about these types of things. I knew that the
swap partition *could* do this. That's why I gave myself a 2G swap
partition when I set up my hard disk. I just wasn't sure whether it
required some action on my or a program's part in order to make this
happen. I've exceeded the RAM on a Win2000 computer here at work a few
times, and the computer just stopped cold and required a restart after
all of the programs had been killed.

I do have a reasonably fast hard drive at home, so I guess I've got 2G
of memory to play with as long as I can wait for the render.

Thank you,
 -Shay