POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : image_map transparency vs. difference : Re: image_map transparency vs. difference Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map transparency vs. difference
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 13 Oct 2003 17:19:39
Message: <3f8b16eb@news.povray.org>

message de news:3f8aecab$1@news.povray.org...

> And this is one of those cases where it wouldn't be practical. My model
has
> some pretty complex shapes other than cylinders which have transparencies,
> and differencing those shapes into pieces ground my workstation to a halt
> (some of the shapes are sheared with matrix{} and differencing something
> that has been matrix-sheared didn't seem to work too well).

To be frank, when one wants to model real-life objects with a certain
accuracy, primitives and CSG do have limits and the price to pay in terms of
conception and rendering time may just be too high. Curves, bevels, holes
and uv-mapping are more the realm of mesh modellers.

> interpolation at all. So my question is, why would you *not* want to use
> bilinear interpolation on your image and bump maps?

I agree that interpolation could certainly be turned on by default. This is
probably a legacy issue, as this may not have been desirable when 386s were
considered as fast machines. There are other features in the same situation
actually (ambient > 0 in standard textures for instance).

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com