POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Weird POV crash. ARGH! : Re: Weird POV 'crash' (abortion or is it a bug?) ARGH! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:31:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weird POV 'crash' (abortion or is it a bug?) ARGH!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Aug 2003 02:40:21
Message: <3f4b00d5$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3f4a6913@news.povray.org> , "J.Random Raytracer"
<wyr### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> renders just fine at hi-res without radiosity.

In that case, if you can create a minimum scene using only the
cutaway_textures object that reproduces the problem, it would help to
improve this.

> manner that it does not quite allow continuing the work since it gives
> little clue about what is wrong, and IMO it looks like one that should have
> been caught already in the parsing stage, and while it is not a total system
> crash or program error, it still very well qualifies as Abnormal End.

No, the termination is no abnormal.  It is simply unexpected for you, but it
is *not* an unintended program behavior to terminate at the given point.

Whether it should terminate where it does is a totally different issue, and
I agree that it should not terminate there *if* possible.

>     and to 3, if there are features that do not work in conjunction but are
> not documented incompatible (like cutaway_textures and radiosity appear now)
> then it's a bug. And at least 98% of the only cutaway_textured object is
> already rendered at that stage, although there is no way knowing where the
> radiosity pincushion might get its rays to.

I neither said nor inferred that it has to do anything with cutaway_textures
in conjunction with radiosity.  This is just some wild guess on your part!
As you have not provided a scene showing the problem you have with the
current behavior - which is, as I pointed out not nice but intentional
rather than random - there is no way of telling what actually happens.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde