POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question about scale & translation : Re: Question about scale & translation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about scale & translation
Date: 4 Aug 2003 19:30:35
Message: <3f2eec9b$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Steve,

Because I've never used the spline macros of Chris Colefax, I can't
help with this. Of course such a motion is possible in POV-Ray, but
requires some skill at mathematics/geometry/POV-scripting. I see
great difficulties in the turns: if the objects move on a curved path
like the segments of a worm, each object has to be aligned to the path.
Neighbouring objects will have a slightly different orientation. If
this "bending" is accomplished by simply rotating the objects, they
will usually intersect (if they touched before). So they have to move
apart by an amount depending on the current point on the path and the
shape of the objects -- not an easy task.

Before using animation, splines and other more advanced concepts, I
suggest to fully master the more basic concepts: coordinates, objects
and their modifiers, textures, light and camera, CSG, variables,
#while-loops and macros -- and of course mathematics, esp. geometry.
(An animated jogger in the forest at a wild river with waterfall would
be really advanced.) I strongly suggest to read the whole manual and
many of the posts of the last months, this is VERY helpful and avoids
asking questions that have been answered many times before.

povray.newusers and povray.general are read by many advanced users,
so it's not neccessary to post to povray.advanced-users to get help
from them. Often the answer at povray.advanced-users requires an
advanced user to understand it, while help at povray.newusers usually
is aimed at newcomers and so is more basic and more detailed.

Of course, questions are always welcome.

   Sputnik