POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question about scale & translation : Re: Question about scale & translation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:30:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about scale & translation
From: gonzo
Date: 3 Aug 2003 18:28:51
Message: <3f2d8ca3@news.povray.org>
Steve Shelby <ssh### [at] rexnetnet> wrote in message
> Sputnik,
> Thank you, that's fabulous! I can tell exactly what's going on with this.
> the idea of
> "scale 1+Count*.04" had eluded me; I was not able to think of it in terms
of
> a factor, and even if I had, I didn't know what to do with it.
> Now I'm wondering, would it be possible to, write it in a way that would,
> for example, produce 30 objects as was done here, and then reverse the
> process, so that next 30 in the stack mirrors the first? Or, even have a
> section in the middle where there is no change in scale?
> Steve

Since you can use conditional statements within a loop, nest loops, and even
read data from arrays or files, there's practically no limit to what you can
do.

But basically, your questions all have to do with the fundamental
capabilities of POV's scene description language and are probably better
asked in .newusers.

I'd suggest going though the tutorial and playing around with the demo
scenes until you're more familiar with the SDL, then asking questions
regarding specific aspects as they arise.  There's simply too much to PovRay
to try and cram it all into general questions.

If you need more examples you can also look at entries in the IRTC
(www.irtc.org) as many artists post their code with their entries so you can
see specific code for a specific object or effect.

Don't take this as trying to discourage questions either, just suggesting
that you let some of it absorb first. As with any kind of programming there
are many differnet ways to achieve things in POV and no two people will see
it exactly the same.  If you let your mind sort it out its own way then ask
questions as needed you'll find it gets quite comfortable. And your way may
be much better than mine.

RG  -  just starting to hit my own comfort zone