POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Real and fake : Re: Real and fake Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real and fake
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 20 Jul 2003 05:13:31
Message: <3f1a5d3b@news.povray.org>
Well, there's phong and specular highlighting. In RL, highlights
are caused by reflections of very, very, very, very,... bright
objects. So, even though you could somehow simulate this
effect with exponential reflection and high-rgb/ambient objects,
that would be pretty slow.

AFAIK brilliance is also a crude model, but I'm not too sure about
that.

Arealight is faked, it only creates soft shadows, but no soft
highlights etc.

iridiscence is just an approach to model thin film interferences and
isn't based on any realistic model (again, AFAIK), but has enough
options so that you can tweak it till realistic results.

Fog and rainbow-fog are just distance-based color-modifiers (or
something like that :-) and don't interact with light as real
fog would.

There's problably more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Oh, and don't forget the checkered plane, in RL, no one
would be insane and create a tiled floor that big. ;-)

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

> I remember reading somewhere that a number of things in POVRay are "faked"
> for speed considerations.
>
> Could someone please tell me which things are faked, and how the "fake"
> implementaion differs from a "real" one?
>
> Rohan _e_ii

---