POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fat torii leave artifacts with CSG : Re: Fat torii leave artifacts with CSG Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fat torii leave artifacts with CSG
From: David Wallace
Date: 18 Jul 2003 00:21:18
Message: <3f1775be@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote in message
> Wasn't it David Wallace who wrote:
> >When I try to subtract a torus whose inner radius exceeds its outer
radius
> >from a cylinder, it leaves an ovoid behind.
>
> Yes. What else would you expect it to do?
>
> A fat torus is a self-intersecting shape. Under normal circumstances
> there's a hole inside. When you difference the torus out of some other
> object, then the bit that was the hole gets left behind.

That's what I suspected.  Hence the commented cutouts in the original post.
The idea was to wipe out the nipple and, once discovered, the central ovoid.
The cylinder got the nipple but left part of the ovoid while the sphere got
the ovoid but left a small part of the nipple.  Actually the object looks
quite nice with just the sphere removed.