POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Multi dimensional arrays (dim>5) and multi variable type arrays : Re: Multi dimensional arrays (dim>5) and multi variable type arrays Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multi dimensional arrays (dim>5) and multi variable type arrays
From: Jaap Frank
Date: 13 Jul 2003 16:38:06
Message: <3f11c32e$1@news.povray.org>
"gonzo" <rgo### [at] lansetcom> wrote in message news:3f11b877$1@news.povray.org...

> This is basically what I did for my Architecture IRTC entry
>  http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2003-04-30/rows_rg.jpg ) except I did it
> the hard way of coding everything in line;

Nice picture that is. Gives me the impression of a lazy sunday afternoon
somewhere in september.

> I never thought to pre-declare the arrays and connect them like you did.
> Your way looks like it has a lot more flexibility.  I ended up with around
> 15 large complex arrays. By pre-declaring the smaller arays I could have
> probably built a lot of them on the fly using loops and reading the data
> from a file.  Thanks for the input, I'll definitely remember that next time
> I need to do something similar!

I've used it before as well, but when I reread the manual today about the
array definition (and his limitations), it suddingly occured to me that it
could be done the way I described it. With a small test file it was quickly
demonstrated. I couldn't resist to share it with everyone.

> The POV master gurus probably already know this, but for a mere mortal like
> myself this was a major breakthru!
> Thanks for adding your .02!

Your welcome.
Maybe I should place it in 'povray.newusers' as well. What do you think?

Jaap Frank