POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay's Radiosity : Re: POVRay's Radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay's Radiosity
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 Jul 2003 16:16:02
Message: <3f11be02$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3f118cfd@news.povray.org> , "Tim Nikias v2.0"
<tim### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> OTOH, I don't know what is actually overflowing, so
> I might be suggesting complete bullsh** here. But isn't
> there a possibility for a more user-friendly approach?
> Like a message telling me "Don't use so many freakin'
> radiosity samples, it cracks me up!" or so?

This isn't a message that comes from POV-Ray itself.  If an application runs
out of memory in a certain way (that is on the stack), the operating system
will notice.  Usually an application then crashes unless it is able to catch
this notice from the operating system.  This is what POV-Ray for Windows
does.

> So, then just out of interest: what is actually placed in
> the stack which overflows?

The stack itself has a limited size.  It cannot really be explained to a
non-programmer well at all...sorry!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde