POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay's Radiosity : Re: POVRay's Radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay's Radiosity
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 13 Jul 2003 12:46:53
Message: <3f118cfd@news.povray.org>
Well, okay, I understand that. :-)

Still, the message POV-Ray issues tells me to restart
POV-Ray. Isn't there some way around that? Like,
when POV-Ray notices things are getting out of hand,
it'll stop generating data for that pixel and just take
what it's got?
OTOH, I don't know what is actually overflowing, so
I might be suggesting complete bullsh** here. But isn't
there a possibility for a more user-friendly approach?
Like a message telling me "Don't use so many freakin'
radiosity samples, it cracks me up!" or so?

Hm, yet again, perhaps POV-Ray can't tell that for sure.

So, then just out of interest: what is actually placed in
the stack which overflows? Is it amount of rays? Gathered
samples? Thinking about it, the way POV-Ray handles
it seems to be best possible method, but I'd still like to
know the background, if someone can be bothered... :-)

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

> > Anyways, on a sidepath: aren't there possibilities to circumvent
> > this stack overflow, or is this out of POV-Ray's hands?
>
> You really don't want to, unless you want to wait until the death of the
> universe for your render to finish with such settings...
>
>     Thorsten

> Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
> e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

---