POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay's Radiosity : Re: POVRay's Radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay's Radiosity
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 12 Jul 2003 18:34:14
Message: <3f108ce6$1@news.povray.org>

>   Why do samples need to store their recursion level?
>   *Rays* need to know their recursion level when they are traced, but
that's
> all. This is trivial and it's the exact same thing as the regular
raytracing
> process is doing anyways (for reflections and refractions).

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Hadn't thought about that.

> > And finally, pretrace. As I understand it, pretrace is
> > just another pass over the picture in order to check
> > if enough samples are present at any given spot.
>
>   AFAIK pretrace is simply a preprocessing step to get some initial
> samples in the scene, thus speeding up the actual raytracing.

But then there wouldn't be a need for several pretrace
passes, would there? I could do one rather detailed pass
right away, and leave it at that. Since POV-Ray normally
works as efficient as possible (there are a lot of really
good programmers working on it), I came to the conclusion
that since sampling is the main factor for the radiosity
calculations, samples are spread and gathered in several
passes, to only place samples where needed.

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

 Warp -

---