POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay's Radiosity : Re: POVRay's Radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay's Radiosity
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 12 Jul 2003 05:48:51
Message: <3f0fd983$1@news.povray.org>
Hm, I've tried searching both. Haven't found
any useful difference between both terms.

It seems that Global Illumination is more or
less used for describing the problem itself:
Light is being reflected off of diffuse-reflecting
objects, and how do we solve that?
And Radiosity is then used as the term describing
an implemented technique: I use patches or
photons, scatter these around the scene and
do several rebounces.
Why there are two terms which seem to be
exact same thing goes above me. Anyone
care to elaborate?

I've got a 3D-Graphiks Book at hand, but it just
goes on explaining the radiosity-function, and
naming it a global lighting modell, but since its
a german book, I'd say it might have been named
global illumination at some point, but got translated.

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

> > I've tried searching the web for a document covering
> > the actual function and approach, but was unable
> > to find something useful.
>

> Tip: search for "global illumination," since that's what POV-Ray's
> "radiosity" feature really is. Radiosity is something else. At least,
that's
> what I heard from someone at some point.
>
>  - Slime
> [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

---