POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity : Re: Radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 24 Jun 2003 17:19:28
Message: <3ef8c060@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3ef884b34485a7259735c0c0@news.povray.org> , "Mike Andrews"
<nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Sorry Warp, I believe he does have a valid point, even if he is not
> expressing himself very well.
>
> In render.cpp, function Start_Tracing_Radiosity_Preview(), line about 1022:

No, this is something different and not directly related to the observed
effect.  If you see excessive changes of colors from one frame to the other
it implies the number of samples you takes is too small.

> Thus random noise is introduced into the radiosity trace. And it is
> different for each frame of an animation. Some scenes show it more than
> others, but it is there.
>
> When I compile custom versions I always remove this jitter ...

If you like grid artifacts ... if you really have a problem with the
"randomness" of the same distribution, you should increase the number of
samples taken.  And you cannot expect pixel to pixel equivalent images for
_different_ camera positions.  Nevertheless, the effect you will see
rendering the same scene twice will be identical because the "random
distribution" will be identical as well.  Even if you move the camera, the
"randomness" will be absolutely identical, however, it applies to pixels
that represent different objects in the scene now, and that will create
artifacts when the sample count is too low.  Thus, the "randomness" is not
different for each frame of the animation.  Further, this has nothing to do
with noise.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde