POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Creating blurred image via textures...? : Re: Creating blurred image via textures...? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating blurred image via textures...?
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 17 Jun 2003 15:46:05
Message: <3eef6ffd$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:

>Lets say I have a picture. Via patterns, averaging
>pigments, layered textures etc I'd like to blur the
>image_map. How would I do that? I've first though
>about translating the image_map off to the right,
>and then rotate that translation, i.e. translating the
>image to the right, then down, then left, then up.
>The more samples I take, the more I average together.
>This obviously doesn't truly blur the image and is
>very visible as a circular effect... Any ideas?

Not sure what circular effect you are seeing, you might
try something like the following, it seemed to look like
bluring to me.

#local Blur_Image  = pigment {
  image_map {
    png "testimg.png"
  }
};
#local Blur_Left = pigment { Blur_Image translate <0.01,0,0>};
#local Blur_Right = pigment { Blur_Image translate <0,0.01,0>};
#local Blur_Up = pigment { Blur_Image translate <-0.01,0,0>};
#local Blur_Down = pigment { Blur_Image translate <0,-0.01,0>};
box {
  <0,0,0>, <1,1,0.001>
  texture {
    pigment {
      average
      pigment_map {
        [1, Blur_Image]
        [1, Blur_Left]
        [1, Blur_Right]
        [1, Blur_Up]
        [1, Blur_Down]
      }
    }
    finish { ambient 0.3 }
  }
  translate <-0.5,-0.5,0> // center on the origin
}