POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Transforming Objects with a Matrix : Re: Transforming Objects with a Matrix Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transforming Objects with a Matrix
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 12 Jun 2003 02:03:19
Message: <3ee817a7$1@news.povray.org>
ABX wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:48:31 +0200, sascha <sas### [at] userssourceforgenet>
>wrote:
>

>>rtfm is always a good idea, however, in this case the manual says:
>>6.3.1 Transformations
>>The supported transformations are rotate, scale, and translate.
>>but should read
>>The supported transformations are rotate, scale, translate and matrix.
>>[Not very advanced, though...]
>>:-)
>>

>It says correct IMO. Imagine I have baloon. I can do following transformations:
>a) rotate it turning around
>b) translate it by moving
>c) scale it with blowing
>but I can't matrix it becouse there is no transformation 'matrix' in reality,
>though matematically I can describe this transformations with matix and that's
>what is written in next sentence "A transformation matrix may also be used to
>specify complex transformations directly." :-)
>
>ABX

(6.3.1.4  Matrix Keyword)
... the matrix command allows more general transformation effects like
/shearing/. The following matrix causes an object to be sheared ...

The manual could be changed to make this clearer

6.3.1  Transformations
The supported transformation modifiers are |rotate|, |scale|,
|translate|, and matrix. They are used to turn, size and move an object
or texture. A transformation matrix may also be used to specify complex
transformations directly.

This would clear up the meaning of "may also be used" (for complex
transformations) instead of (is also supported).

Tim Attwood