POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question of speed : Re: A question of speed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of speed
From: Micha Riser
Date: 10 Jun 2003 19:10:59
Message: <3ee66583@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
>> I've just read a paper which states that real-time ray-tracing might
>> become doable
>
>   "Real-time raytracing" is not an unambiguous term.
>   There have been real-time raytracers in the mid-90's for the first
>   Pentium,
> so in that sense that's old news. It doesn't *become* doable because it
> has been doable for over 5 years.

I know that it has been made on CPUs already.. but, if you had properly
quoted my statement it would say:

"I've just read a paper which states that real-time ray-tracing might become
doable on the next generation GPUs using their fragment shaders:"

so the new thing is that it's getting possible on the standard GPUs.

- Micha

--
POV-Ray Objects Collection: http://objects.povworld.org