POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Max-value with function int() : Re: Max-value with function int() Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Max-value with function int()
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 May 2003 08:15:24
Message: <3ec384dc$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3ec2d53b@news.povray.org> , "Will W" <wil### [at] NOSPAMwizzardsnet>
wrote:

> Generally in other packages the limitations of int( ) function are
> documented. This is missing from POV's documentation. An additional sentence
> that stated the range of integers would bring POV's int( ) function into
> alignment with similar packages, and help savvy SDL writers avoid problems
> in their code.

But generally you get a ready made library and/or documentation specific to
one platform.  Adding such arbitrary detail to the POV-Ray documentation
helps nobody but will confuse many.

The real problem is that the parser currently does not prevent you from
shooting yourself in the foot.  I agree that it should enforce bounds
whenever possible.  Nevertheless, finding by trial and error what works and
what doesn't really does not help because:
1. It can be found in the source code more accurately.
2. The behavior is intended as is right now.
3. Values of this size will not be useful for anything in a scene.
4. It will not be changed in POV-Ray 3.x.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.