POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Re: Extending the #read directive : Re: Extending the #read directive Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extending the #read directive
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 8 May 2003 17:42:03
Message: <3ebacf2b$1@news.povray.org>
> your program strays in random variations of the output
> formatting just to tease users? Maybe you misunderstood

Well, the program I use is Wings3d and it outputs all the vertices / faces /
normals in very long lines. The length varies with the amount of vectors.

There are always more than one way to do a thing. I don't mean to make too
big a point out of this, but I think my idea for the #read directive could
come in handy on several occasions. Very few applications uses the kind of
formatting that POV-Ray needs to read a text file. You're right that
sometimes it would be awfully slow to run a code in SDL, to read and utilise
data from another software. But not always so slow, and from a user
perspective, what is quicker: Running a third program outside POV-Ray to
convert text files, or wait a few seconds for a code in SDL to execute?

I'll try the mesh-compressor, and I could try to find a program that can be
taught how to read any text file, and convert the important data to
something POV-Ray can read. But it's probably difficult to convince a normal
user, that it's not cumbersome, compared to having POV-Ray do it.

Is SDL a programming language? Yes, and we're having fun with it.. I'm not
alone to decide, how to develop SDL, I just tell my own ideas. Let me know
if you think, the feature isn't necessarely crazy, and thanks for listening.

Regards,
Hugo