POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Turning squares into a smooth isosurface : Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface
From: Will W
Date: 9 Apr 2003 13:32:04
Message: <3e945914@news.povray.org>
"ABX" <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:33:19 -0400, Christopher James Huff
> <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> > Distance is what the word "proximity" means!

<snip>

> I'm not english master. Not even advanced amateur. Can you provide me a
> reference to definition that proximity is distance? There is no 'distance'
in

Try http://dictionary.reference.com/ dictionary.com. Everyone should have
this link installed on their browser as a "bookmark" or "favorite". Their
online thesaurus is also quite good.

Entries from MeriamWebster, American Heritage and WordNet are available
there for "proximity". They all indicate the word refers to one thing being
"close" to another. But not necessarily in geometric distance; the closeness
could be in terms of some other attribute. So though there may be thousands
of miles between ABX and myself, our thoughts on a given topic may be in
close proximity. Or perhaps not. We could be in close physical proximity and
be worlds apart in our views about something.

I haven't been following the argument closely and have no opinion about the
matter in hand. But I do have strong opinions about the use and misuse of
words. And an especially strong opinion about individuals who attempt to ram
a particular definition down other people's throats. I'm not saying that is
happening here. But it does seem to me like the contenders in this dispute
are stepping ever more closely toward that line.

Remember that meaning is not attached to a word when it is spoken or
written. Meaning is attached to a word when it is listened to or read. There
is no such thing as an absolute definition-- there is only the definition
that your audience will use.

Now, back to the fights...

--
Will Woodhull