POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why?... Because!! : Re: Why?... Because!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why?... Because!!
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 31 Mar 2003 15:58:42
Message: <3e88ac02@news.povray.org>
> If you are based in London, then try to check this bookcase shops around

> I got one on verilog and it comes with the foundation tools. Then you
> need to buy the actual programmer device and the appropriate FPGA chip
> for you project.

I'm not based in London, but I can get there ;-) Might be easier to check my
local bookstores tho (or even Amazon).

I now have broadband :-)

[Aren't birthdays wonderful?]

Anyway, on the Xilinx website, you can download a thingy called ISE WebPACK
for free apparently. I don't follow most of the jargon, so I don't know what
it does... I get the impression that this thing will actually allow you to
design stuff - the idea being that you'll then have to pay "real money" for
the equiptment to put it into hardware.

> > So you mean if I buy the right stuff I can actually have running
silicon???

> Yep, you can have the whole NES system on a single chip. (this includes
> the graphics processor or PPU (pixels processing unit) as it is called.)

You know a lot about this stuff, don't ya? (Oh yeah - you did a course. Ok,
ok, I'm stupid...)

Basically, I know - theoritically - how a logic gate works. I also built
stuff out of 7400 chips (if you happen to know what that means). Actually, a
while back a bought a whole load of them, but suddenly I can't seem to get
them to work properly. (It's been a while.)

Anyway, drifting somewhat off-topic here...

Thanks a lot!
Andrew.