POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why?... Because!! : Re: Why?... Because!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:11:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why?... Because!!
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 26 Mar 2003 16:04:05
Message: <3e8215c5@news.povray.org>
> > Glad I'm not the only crazy person on this earth ;-)
>
> I wouldn't say crazy because the CPU I did was an assignment for the
> advanced digital design module.

Ah... That would make more sense ;-)

> > Yeah, building hardware is fun, but software is way more convinient...
> > Especially for testing!
>
> With VHDL you write your hardware with software. Then there are two ways
> of writing programs in VHDL, one is for testing purposes, which works
> pretty much like your emulator written in c or c++, but it runs
> concurrently and it has got timers, etc...

Sounds really cool... I gotta check this out... (Oh yeah - I said that
yesterday too, didn't I? I'm a busy person sadly....)

> Once you compile it, your
> compiler will generate logic gates interconnected to generate your
> circuit. Then you just transfer that to an FPGA IC and that's it. you
> are done.

So you mean if I buy the right stuff I can actually have running silicon???

(Well, actually it's Germanium these days isn't it? Or is it? I have no idea
really...)

> Anyway, keep up with your inventions. Have you got screenshots of your
> povray renderings?

I do have images - they're not terribly exciting tho. Will post one in a
sec. Also note that I've got a (unfinished) logic diagram currently on
povray.binaries.images. (Took me hours - I think I'm doing it the hard way!
Will investigate easier methods ;-)

Thanks!
Andrew.