POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why?... Because!! : Re: Why?... Because!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why?... Because!!
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 13 Mar 2003 17:05:15
Message: <3e71009b@news.povray.org>
> I think this is more useful than the tutorial project (as a project
> that is, not as a tutorial). Imagine you want to render an animation
> of an arcade hall. Instead of pre-calculating animations that you
> display on the arcade machines' screens you can use the parser to
> calculate what is on screen and even let it interact with the
> animation's characters.

Yeah... hadn't thought of that... Interesting idea.

> All you need is the arcade machine's or home
> computer's ROM image. Very useful.

Well... at the moment, it doesn't emulate any piece of hardware that has
ever actually existed - i.e., it doesn't emulate a C64 or a ZX Spectrum or
anything in particular, just an imaginary machine that I invented. (No
reason why such a device COULDN'T exist, it's just that I haven't built one
yet ;-) To actually make use of a ROM image (wouldn't there be copyright
issues?) it would have to actually emulate a real computer - the one the ROM
works on! But still, a neat idea...

> On the other hand I find a
> raytracer implemented in SDL not very persuasive. What would make
> sense is a raytracer implemented in the home computer's machine code...

Mmm... now there's tempting! ;-)

(Did I mention that this thing is 8-bit, with no hardware support for
floating point operations?!?)

Andrew.